My Family

My Family

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Zoo

I was looking over my blog and seeing that I only really post about once a month. I do have more going on in my life than that, I just can't seem to write about it.

For example on Saturday of Labor Day weekend, we (the Barker clan minus the Marshall's) went down to Birmingham to the zoo. I love zoos. I have no idea why but was very excited to go. Kaleb just loves animals and I figured he was just about old enough to pay attention. I was a little disappointed cause they were working on a new African area and there weren't any elephants and if you didn't get to the giraffe feeding event you could only see them from a really long way off. I don't remember camels either but that was at the end of it so I was pretty tired by then.

Kaleb had so much fun looking at all the animals. They had to be moving around of course or else he had no idea what was so fascinating about staring at plants. The best part for him I think was the flamingos. They had an area so you could hand feed them with a fence only about 3 feet high (don't quote me on that) and of course the flamingos were taller and were all over the place looking for hand outs. Nick sat Kaleb on the fence and one of them came over to see if he had and food and he tried to poke it in the eye and it then tried to see if his feet had food so he tried to poke it in the eye again. It was so funny to watch and I loved taking pictures of it.

(Nick is a perfectionist so I don't have any "worthy" pictures yet)

Then they had an area where you could feed small birds call Lorikeets with some nectar but apparently Nick must have smelled really good to them cause he had three at one time licking the sweat off of him. Other than that if you didn't have a nectar cup they didn't want to have anything to do with you. It was such a wonderful experience for me and I hope the rest of my family enjoyed it too. I want to go back when Nick's mother comes in the spring. I think the older my kids get the more fun it will be and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment